Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Birds Eye View




What a Glorious day it is. After finishing a morning shift at the Salmon Hatchery , I came back to where I am currently Pet and House sitting. With the sun shining brightly and only a few clouds in the sky, it has truly been a day of perfection. I made myself some lunch, then opted to lay outside in the Hammock and watch the birds at the feeder. With guide book in hand I was in awe with the eclectic diversity of little birds at the feeder today. Mind you, my songbird knowledge is pretty minimal, however over the course of the last few years I have learned a great deal more, and with the trusty turn of the Bird guide book page, I am learning more. Brightly colored feathers fluttering about and anxious little beaks gathering all the seeds they could. My favorite of the day was the Black Headed Grosbeak, what a pretty little guy. I also enjoyed the Goldfinches who are Washington's State Bird. Of course their was Mister Gregarious, The Stellar Blue Jay, whom completely takes over the feeder and everyone else leaves. Bird feeders are such a great way to learn about birds, and you can watch them from a safe distance without scaring them away. I really do feel grateful and blessed to be able to have the great advantage of living in a place where I can enjoy this, and live in harmony with the nature around me.




No comments: