Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Into the Fog


Inches and Inches of fluffy fog encircled us, everywhere. You would never know that a 14,000 some odd foot Mountain lived there. As we drove up the winding and curvy roads, all you could see was thick white puff, the old Growth forests below were barely visible. This was my introduction to arriving at my temporary summer home at Paradise on Mt. Rainier. Was there a Mountain here, or was she a myth of some sorts. Needless to say I was disappointed at not having her welcome me here. I started work the second day, and once again thick dusts of foggy clouds all the way to the ground... was I ever going to meet her Majesty, the Mountain? Well, finally the third day I awoke and to my delight there she was, in all her glory, tall and pearly white, deep glaciers with crevasses so deep who would dare attempt to ascend her pearly ladders of crusty and 8 foot high snow drifts... in any case, I was thrilled that she came out to meet me... and why on earth was she named after some dude named Peter Rainier from Vancouver's expedition of the 1700's I will never know... because after all, she is stubborn and a queen of a Mountain.

June 22, 2009

Happy Summer Solstice... one inch of new snow on the ground, that means 81 inches to melt... so much for summer.. Ha Ha!

No comments: